ARE YOU DRINKING ENOUGH?
Water is the single most important nutrient for the body and is involved in every bodily function. The body is 50-75% water. Water acts as a lubricant in the joint spaces. It increases the efficiency of the immune system, prevents clogging of arteries in the heart and brain. It is directly connected to brain function and helps prevent memory loss. It affects our appearance.
If you wait until you are thirsty to drink water, then you are most likely dehydrated. When the body is dehydrated, it will begin to ration its water, giving priority to the brain, heart, lungs, liver and kidneys. Some signs of dehydration include headache, back pain, joint aches, dry skin, allergies, heartburn, constipation and memory loss.
To determine the body’s daily water intake, divide body weight by two and drink that many ounces of water during the day.
Here are some other things to keep in mind:
- Caffeine (coffee and tea) is a diuretic so limit your intake to 1-2 cups daily.
- If you live in a warmer climate you will want to increase your intake of water.
- You should drink 15 to 30 minutes before or 2 hours after meals. If you must drink during a meal, lim it the amount to 4-8 ounces of room temperature water.
- Try not to drink past 7 pm because it can interfere with your sleep.
Can you drink too much water? Yes, and doing so can cause your potassium levels and electrolyte levels to become dangerously low.
At first, drinking enough water can seem overwhelming. In the beginning, increasing your water intake will probably result in more frequent urination. Don’t worry; your body will adjust and level out as hydration increases.
Here are a few tips to help you stay focused and one track.
- Find a buddy. It always seems easier when someone else is doing it too. You can help keep each other accountable.
- Find an app. Sometimes having a visual can help you stay on track. The reminders are helpful, especially in the beginning. The app I have on my phone currently is called Drink Water Reminder.
- Treat each day as a new day. If you didn’t make your goal, that’s okay. Start fresh the next day.
- Getting bored with the taste? Consider adding in a tiny pinch of Himalayan salt and a drop of your favorite citrus essential oil. Young Living’s Lemon Vitality, Orange Vitality, and Grapefruit Vitality are popular. Need a pick me up or some focus? Try Peppermint Vitality (a little goes a long way, so maybe just a toothpick swirl to start).
- Not sure about using essential oils? You can make a container of water and add slices of fruit and/or sprigs of fresh herbs. Berries, citrus, cucumbers and mint are great choices.
Now, go drink some water!